Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Downsizing


I have always admired people who have been able to get rid of all of their belongings and live somewhat stuff-free. I guess I am too attached to certain possessions to get rid of them though I have tried. I always regret letting go of those items later, whether it be clothing or books. Since I have realized that I am not strong enough to let go of my possessions I have pretty much stopped buying new stuff. At least I'm trying. I just gave away 6 pairs of jeans this weekend which were all in great shape and went to the mall on Monday and wanted to buy a new pair of jeans. While in the fitting room I realized I would just be keeping myself in the cycle of buying stuff which I barely use and then have a difficult time parting with, so I left the mall empty-handed. Keep in mind I still have about 10 more pairs of jeans to give away. Unless the item of clothing is a necessity ie: work clothes ( I barely even buy that) I try not to buy it. I have only purchased about 4 books this year (all used). I do not buy electronics (I just use other peoples'), CD's, gadgets, candles, and all the other stuff people spend on regularly. My biggest weakness is by far toiletries (make-up, hair care, lotions) however I justify this by saying that at least once I finish these products they will not take up space, of course the empty bottles will most likey end up in a landfill. Believe it or not I have not adopted this lifestyle to save money but rather because I am sick and tired of clutter. Anyone who has moved lately knows how shocked you become when packing by the amount of stuff you can acquire in a short period of time. I have no attic or garage to store my stuff so it is more obvious that I have too much stuff in my home since storage space is at a minimum. While I do not ever think I can take on the somewhat hippie-like minimalism of the couple mentioned in this article I do understand where they are coming from. Like the sociologist quoted in the article says "You have to care for it, store it. It becomes an appendage, I think. If it enhances your life and helps you do the things you want to do, great. If you are burdened by these things and they become the center of what you have to do to live, is that really positive?” If you do not believe me ask go ask someone who has recently moved. So if you know me and I will be buying you a present soon it will probably be something like dinner or a drink because I care about you and I want you to avoid clutter as well.

No comments: